Sometimes life can get in the way of actually dating. If you and your significant other have been together for a long time, there’s a tendency to cruise and not continue pursuing the other. But if you’re in love, there will always be things to discover about them. My encouragement to any and all couples is this: never stop dating. Time flies by, and months can go by without intentional time together. So this blog post is purposed to provide ideas for a fun date night!
Do you ever run out of date ideas with your babe? Here are 15 ideas for fun dates in the Magic City of Birmingham, ranging from free to fancy!
1. Have a progressive dinner at the Pizitz Food Hall downtown. Food ranges from Ethiopian and Japanese to Italian and a cheese shop, so there is food to suit any fancy. They also have one rotating restaurant that stays for a few months to test out the Birmingham market! The Pizitz is in the heart of downtown, so you’re in walking distance to Railroad Park if you desire to take your food to-go!
2. Take a picnic and hike at Oak Mountain State Park. It is $5 to get in, but well worth your time and money. There are multiple trails, but the best by far is hiking to the top of King’s Chair for a spectacular view. Hold hands, breathe in the fresh air and enjoy nature together.
3. Visit the Birmingham Museum of Art. Take pictures of each other pretending to be a person in a painting. It gets to be pretty funny and it’s free! During the summer, the museum also offers an event called “Art on the Rocks.” You can dress up, enjoy mingling in the outside courtyard and peruse the museum on a beautiful summer evening.
4. Window shop at The Summit. Anthropologie, Altar’d State and Kendra Scott are for the girls, and The Art of Shaving is fun for the guys! The Summit is a fantastic place simply to walk, eat (P.F. Chang’s, Macaroni Grill, Hickory Tavern, etc.), get dessert (Steel City Pops for the win!) and see a view of the hills from the back patio of Chuy’s.
5. Grab a Cookie Fix cookie. If you haven’t eaten a Cookie Fix, you’re about to have the best cookie of your life. I don’t know what they put in those things but they’re INCREDIBLE! Grab it to go and eat it at the Vulcan or the Overlook by Vestavia Baptist Church.
6. Test your fitness at First Avenue Rocks. You’ll probably find some muscles you never knew you had! Strap into a harness, flirt a little and let the guy lead the way in showing you how to rock climb!
7. Cycle around the heart of downtown on Zyp bikes. For only $6 a day, you can rent a bike and stop at fun points throughout the city! Although Greater Birmingham is hilly, downtown is not! (you’re welcome, calf muscles) Cycle from Linn Park to Railroad Park and end the pretty route grabbing lunch or dinner on 20th Street.
8. Find treasures at an antique shop. 2nd and Charles is for the books, and Brass Bear will blow your mind. Wander around aimlessly or play a game together and find the weirdest items possible!
9. Catch a show at the Alabama Theatre. Leading up to the holidays, they play Christmas movies and Birmingham goes crazy for it!! See The Grinch, It’s A Wonderful Life and other classics. The rest of the year, they bring in amazing artists for concerts. It’s an intimate yet elaborate venue that is well worth your time and will make your date feel special when you two dress up!
10. Read at the Library in the Forest. Located in Vestavia, Library in the Forest is tucked away in the woods and provides a calm atmosphere to read and hang out! They have trails outside, so you could take your reading out there, too!
11. Watch some baseball at Regions Field. There’s nothing quite like a summer night at the baseball stadium. Baseball is for hotdogs, peanuts, fireworks and not reallllly watching the game and flirting instead! Give it a try, even if baseball isn’t your thing.
12. Explore English Village and Mountain Brook. Dine at the fancy Vino, grab a baguette and coffee Continental Bakery, pretend to be French at Chez Lulu, walk the quaint streets or drive up to Crest Road for a phenomenal view of the city skyline. This area is totally underrated!
13. Download In Birmingham App. Literally shake your phone, and this Birmingham-specific app picks what you could do! It’s a life-saver on a Friday night when you’re stumped for ideas. Or you could just read this blog post 😉
14. Go mural hunting! Bham Now provides a list of all the Birmingham murals. There are so many unique artistic embellishments throughout the city, so it’s a fun activity to take selfies together as you find these gems.
15. Watch a movie at Avondale Park. Every summer, families and young professionals sit in the outside amphitheatre to watch classic movies. Grab a bite to eat at Saw’s, Fancy’s on Fifth or MELT before the movie starts and join all of Birmingham for a family-friendly movie (except you’ll be on a date, so leave the kids behind!).
Happy exploring in the Magic City, love birds! I hope this list is helpful as you commit to dating your significant other!