You’ve booked your engagement session … now, how do you make it into the dream you envisioned? Thoughts are racing around your head … What to wear? Where to photograph? What makeup to chose? How shall I do my hair?
Are you stressed yet? That’s why I’m here to help. Here are four tips to preparing for your dream engagement session without all the stress!
1. What To Wear
The most frequently asked question about engagement sessions is, “What do I wear?!” It can feel intimidating choosing an outfit that everybody will see when the images are posted online! Whether it means rummaging through a friend’s closet, buying a new outfit or putting together a fun combination you’ve always wanted to try, you’ve got lots of options. When looking for your outfits, keep these things in mind…
Things to Avoid
- Patterns smaller than a dime, because they mess with the camera’s sensor
- Very bright colours for men (particularly neon, bright orange, bright red, etc.)
- Clearly matching outfits (let’s go with coordinating, instead!)
- Something stiff and not in line with your personality
Things to Aim For
- Long, flowy skirts or dresses with a bit of “give” so you can swing it around
- Shoes that make your legs look longer, or shoes that are fun to run in
- Variety in your outfit choices (one formal, one casual)
- Something that flatters your best features, makes you feel confident and allows you to be yourself
Clothing stores I love: Altar’d State, Chatter boutique, Uniqlo, Pink Tulip
2. Find Your Dream Location
I always ask my couples to think within their network of connections for a special place to photograph their engagement session. Maybe your family member owns a boat … maybe you know the event coordinator at a beautiful venue … maybe your first date was at a significant place. I encourage couples to choose somewhere meaningful to you so we can create something personal and unique. Urban or botanical? Beautiful architecture or a wide open field? The choices are yours, and there are plenty of them!
Click here for my list of Birmingham session locations
3. Get Your H&MU Done
Just as you want to look your best on your wedding day, why not splurge a little on your engagement session? Investing in professional hair and makeup can be an extra fun way to celebrate the occasion and allow you to be extra confident during your shoot! If you’re not able to splurge, consider false lashes. That will make the most impact on your portraits!
4. Create an Experience That Reflects You Both
Whether it’s bringing your dog, going on your favourite walk in the park, eating doughnuts at the best shop or riding scooters downtown, you can tailor your engagement session experience to whatever fits your personalities! I love when couples come to their session with ideas or a specific location in mind, because you can tell they want to portray their relationship through images. Chick-fil-A picnic, sunset walk, canoeing on a lake … you name it, we can do it!